Friday, July 2, 2010

Memories

By Rachelle

It sure feels good to be in Ecuador. I'm soaking in the sounds of the city, the honking horns, the sound of never-ending construction contrasted with the barking dogs and singing sparrows and vendors selling their wares. Natalia and I both had culture shock the night we landed. To go from the ranch which is surrounded on 3 sides by national forest to a city and homes that have no insulation from outside noise was a stretch! It is like having no glass in the windows. But we are both enjoying it now that we've gotten settled in to an apartment here.

The flight went well and the Lord provided some "angels" to assist us. Thanks for praying for the nausea. It has disappeared! Somebody helped themselves to a couple of things in our luggage, but it wasn't that important (a curling iron--must have been having a bad hair day...).

Getting out and about is an adventure with my wheelchair. It does not fit in all taxis and even then we have to dismantle it. I told Nate that I could do with some shocks to smooth out all the bumps and potholes! But everyone has been extremely helpful and kind, going out of their way to help. At the grocery store I could not wheel through the check out because it was too narrow, so the baggers just picked up the counter and moved it. Now there's a good reason not to fasten everything down!

I'm getting a lot more exercise just going from the bedroom to the kitchen so I sleep really well at night! Tali has been a huge help with laundry, dishes and cooking (and there is a maid, too). Pacing myself is a challenge as I want to do so much and see Tali experience everything first hand! It is great fun.

Tali and I are studying a little Spanish a bit each day. I'll need to add in some Waorani soon too. Nate was on facebook with a Waorani the other day so we may have visitors some day!

Tali is enjoying the tropical fruits and Ecuadorean food. We are hanging out a bit with the summer missionaries who are all college students so it is a bit similar to having all the Latigo staff to interact with. She seems to enjoy that.

No comments: