Thursday, February 25, 2010

Pastor Crazy Man





Wednesday February 17, 2010

First day in Anhwaiso. The medical clinic setup at this village was underneath some large olive green canvas tarps supported by locally cut lumber. I could tell the boards were cut freehand with a chainsaw just like I used to do with the Waorani in Ecuador. It was some sort of yellow hardwood but when I examined it closely one of the village elders quickly noticed and began teasing me that he would build a house for my family if I’d come and live there. Then he said I could just live in his house with his family. I love the smiles and trust.

The Woodmen Valley team really has caught on to the system for the medical outreach so organizing and getting rolling seemed to happen fairly quickly after the obligatory ceremony with the chiefs and elders. Theovision and the elders dedicated a new latrine as well, which was a nice bonus because we then got to be the first to use it while it still smelled more of paint than what I’m sure it will smell like next time anyone goes to that village. I pray it will help to improve hygiene and health.

Soon ropes were up to control the crowds and registration was efficiently sending patients to the doctors. The kids outreach took place in the nearby school and the open areas around it. Emily, a nurse, took some time off from the pharmacy today to just be with the kids. I never saw her without a smile and rarely was her braided red head not surrounded by a host of smiling girls and boys.

At one point I took a stroll down the road in front of the clinic area to get a wide view photo. After snapping a few of those a young man who was headed home asked if I’d like to take a look around the village with him. I really enjoyed seeing the mosque, the local produce, the goats that are everywhere and a Pentecostal church. Someone had written “Pastor Crazy Man” with chalk on the back wall of the church building. (I think I’ve attended a few churches with the same pastor.)

There were courtyards and hand dug wells interspersed amongst the clay and cement dwellings. The people away from the crowds were so welcoming and they enjoyed posing for photos. I got called back into several courtyards to take a second or third picture after they had gathered a few extra people. One guy even pulled out his cell phone camera to take a picture of me taking his picture.

Cocoa seems to be the main industry here as opposed to the palm harvesting operation nearby the last village. But there was plenty of okra, peppers, yams, small fish and tomatoes around at various tables in front the houses. It seems like there is a fairly steady food supply.

Back at the clinic, the tarps and the positioning of the nearby buildings and the crowd prevented much of the breeze from hitting the doctors and the pharmacy people so things got-- and stayed-- really hot. By early afternoon everyone was tired and flushed despite multiple breaks and gallons of water and other drinks. I had to take it easy for awhile after my village tour because I could feel the heat working on me as well. We decided to cut the registration off at 300 patients for the day. Tomorrow we return to finish up.

No comments: