Thursday, February 25, 2010

Pushy Patients aren’t the Sick

Thursday February 18, 2010

Last Day in Anhwaiso

Sometimes it’s hard to deal with all the pushing, finagling and coaxing with people trying to get themselves, their friends or family to the front of the line. It gets really old when you are doing crowd control or manning registration or trying to control the chaos. But today I tried to put myself in their shoes. If my wife or daughter was sick I’d try about anything to get her in to see a doc.

I’m reminded of the story of the four guys who cut a hole and lowered their friend down through the roof just so he could be touched by Jesus. They were rewarded by their tenacity and often, I’ll admit, the pushy get seen by the docs and there are some serious difficulties in keeping things equitable and fair.

The trouble is we need to see the sick and often they travel slow and don’t push as hard. It stinks but some healthy people get run through the system because they pushed hard and were loud or rude. I find it equally hard to make the call to stop seeing patients when there seems to be just as many waiting at the end of the day as there were at the start. And yet we only have limited medical people and resources. We can never see them all or cure everyone. God give us eyes to see your agenda through it all. Multiply our meager amount of good.

I’m tired and the team is tired. Good thing tomorrow is a tourist fun day.

No comments: