Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Burkina Bound

As some of you know, I was asked to join a medical team working in the West African country of Burkina Faso, which is an inland nation just north of Ghana and just a bit larger than Colorado. Burkina Faso is a former French colony that is one of the poorest countries in Africa. The majority of the people are subsistence farmers and the country has few natural resources to build the economy. You can learn more at this link: Burkina Faso

I join several missionaries I've traveled with previously: Doctor Steve Nelson and his wife Dorothy (long-time missionaries in Ecuador and around the world. Steve is an amazing village doctor and the ever-young Dorothy is gifted at connecting with children of any culture), Sheila Leech (HCJB Global Hands missionary nurse and the VP of Healthcare within HCJB Global), Jessica McMillan (HCJB Global Missionary nurse with vast experience in Malawi and Ghana that belies her youth), Emily Martin ( HCJB Global missionary appointee who recently joined the mission following a medical trip in Ghana last year), Rebecca Weber ( a missionary kid from Ecuador who has always dreamed of going to Africa and shares Dorothy's heart for the kids), Doctor Dora Leon and Dr. Xavier Sanchez (two Ecuadorian doctors nearly finished with their residencies at Hospital Voz Andes in Quito, Ecuador). We are soon to be joined by HCJB Global regional director of Sub-Saharan Africa Lee Sonius and Liberian missionary Joseph Kebbie who are travelling up from Ghana tomorrow. We all come alongside HCJB Global's radio partner in the country, Radio Evangel Development (RED) who is already doing community development and has local Christians involved in these communities ahead and behind us. We hope to make them look good.

We have been joking that I am along to do the heavy lifting and "all back,no brains" is fine by me. I may help men in the community that are constructing a new latrine. I also remind the very busy doctors and nurses to drink and eat and take breaks. I count and bag pills in the pharmacy as needed. I simply pray God uses me however is needed to help the team do what they came to do. If God shows me something or someone to come alongside then I'm game. Pray with us that His will be done and that we can be reflections of His Kingdom come to earth.

1 comment:

Shirl said...

Nate, thanks for your excellent updates! I am praying for you and the team. What a blessing of encouragement you are to everyone! I am enjoying my time in Quito. I am scheduled to return on December 14.