Wednesday, November 3, 2010

From Our October Newsletter

Riding Roller Coasters (by Nate)

The Dell Roller Coaster Express ride is ongoing. Following an exciting and encouraging two months in Ecuador on a special assignment with HCJB Global’s summer missionary program (read more about this below and in older blog posts), our financial support has now dropped to the lowest level it has ever been. Rachelle and I both felt the summer’s seeming success signaled a new season on our exciting missionary ride. Instead I’ve been left wondering if the ride may have to shut down for maintenance.

As the school year and Natalia’s volleyball season settled into routine I was planning on one trip to Ghana in February of 2011. In just the last week that has expanded to possible journeys to Burkina Faso, Haiti and Spain all before tax time next year. Pray for me as decisions and plans are made to serve these regions with teams of willing workers. If any of you are interested in being one of those willing workers please drop me an email. It would be fun to have you strap in next to me.

As always we feel blessed to be on this ride, whatever loops and twists it takes. We join with all creation in eager anticipation of what comes next. (Romans 8:19)

Gifts in Ecuador (By Rachelle)

I was able to do so much with my family this summer! More than any of the previous 10 summers in the U.S. We really bonded and had a lot of fun together in Ecuador. I especially treasured all the time I spent with Natalia. She enjoyed the adventures of getting out to see the city, shopping, trying new foods or swimming in the river.

As we drove down out of the Andes and into the edge of the jungle there was a rainbow. It seemed that the Lord was saying that He has some new things for us and that He wanted to redeem some things for us as a family that we thought were lost forever.

For the longest time I thought this was our goodbye trip and I could see how impossible it would be for me to function physically amongst the rigors of Ecuador. My heart ached knowing I’d have to say goodbye again. My ability to tolerate this trip was pure grace. As Nate said, “The pace was unsustainable.” But slowly over time, after we left the last village (Tali cried hard that time) and while travelling from Shell back to Quito the Lord started speaking to my heart. By the time we were at the airport waiting for our flight back to the U.S. I knew that the Lord will take us back there again. I do not know when, how, how long etc., but I believe Him. It was still sad and hard to leave, but what a gift after all this time.

The time we spent with our Waorani friends was a very special gift. It meant so much to me to see the friends who’ve lost spouses, children, health etc. They have my respect and admiration for their courage and faithfulness. Initially I felt so unable to do much ministry, but I was reminded once again that simply being with people, listening, crying, rejoicing is all the Lord is asking for. The rest will fall into place.

It was like watching the Lord fertilize and plant some seeds in Tali’s heart. It still makes me cry to remember the summer. She absolutely loved Ecuador...even the city (which is amazing because she says, “I don’t really like the city”). She soaked everything in and accepted uncertainties and new experiences with a lot of grace. Every time we talk about the summer she gets teary eyed. At the end of the trip we visited an orphanage. Watching Tali play with a little girl for an hour made me feel like I was watching something being birthed in Natalia. We will see…

An even greater gift: I am responding positively to a medication used to treat a genetic movement disorder called familial paroxysmal kinesigenic choreoathetosis. I’m seeing a decrease of pain and an improvement in energy. We don’t know if this will control the disorder forever, but I’m just loving the good days. As I research I’m discovering answers to things that started in my childhood when I was a toddler and older. We don’t have all the answers. The doctor feels that there is also something else, but I’m glad for the relief I’m experiencing! It is possible that Tali’s headaches and muscle spasms are related to this disorder so she will be undergoing lots of tests in October. It would be wonderful to know this early on how to help her.

The Lord knew before I was born what each and every one of my days would be like. He often has refining fires for each of us, but it looks different for every individual. I am at peace with His hand in my life in this regard. That much has been cemented in my heart these past few months. The Lord knows the future. Has this been a rude interruption into our lives? Or has it has been a divine intervention? This “rabbit trail” is part of our journey with the Lord. I don't understand it and I don't feel the need to understand it anymore. I don't know where God is going with this and, it feels strange to admit, I'm ok with that. He is good and I have seen His goodness so much more through these fires. I’d love it if He would reverse my disorder, but no matter what, we will be ok.


We Need Your Help

In order to continue our missionary work, we are in serious need of new monthly support. If you already give to us, would you prayerfully consider increasing your support? If you haven’t been able to partner financially with us in the past, would you prayerfully consider partnering with us now? Another way you could help us would be to consider inviting a group into your home and allow us to share what God is doing in our ministry and how they might be able to be involved with us. Others have felt comfortable asking their local church to consider inviting a new missionary to come and share the Lord’s work there. We would greatly appreciate whatever help you could give us to help us to continue to be the Voice and Hands of Jesus around the world. To give via the web please go to http://www.hcjb.org/donate-give-to-missionaries and type in "Nate and Rachelle Dell" so the money is credited to our ministry account. All donations are tax deductible and much appreciated.

.

No comments: